So the season is still in full swing but athletes always like to plan ahead and think about next year. I have compiled a list of 10 races that I feel are really worth doing. Included are a whole range of races from sprint through to Ironman which will hopefully aim to give you some inspiration to do a race you may never have thought of before. Dates provided are from 2017. If you are thinking of entering, then be quick as a lot of these races will fill up quickly.
1) Nairn Sprint Triathlon – 17th September. Growing up just along the road from Nairn this was my home race when I was growing up. A really laid back local triathlon on local country roads and finishing on Nairn’s famous sea front. A great location for a weekend getaway to the highlands.
2) Stirling Sprint Triathlon – 4th June. The biggest sprint distance race in the country and has been on the go since the late 80’s. Superbly run by Stirling Triathlon club. Great atmosphere, music and commentary by the famous Graham Coull calling you across the line.
3) Aviemore off road Triathlon – 6th August. A challenging off road triathlon in the heart of the Cairngorms which offers a short and long course to suit all abilities. Again great for all the family for a short break away.
4) Craggy Island off road Triathlon – 7/8th October. This race is so popular it is held over 2 days to allow more athletes to take part. A unique race where athletes swim from Oban over to the small island of Kerrera to then mountain bike and run over the rugged island. A must do race and there is also a kids race too.
5) Aberfeldy Half Ironman – 20th August. A challenging Half Ironman race that has been going for 20 years. Superbly organised and even better scenery. Another must do race.
6) Gullane Olympic Triathlon – 29th July. A classic Scottish race. One of very few Open water sea swims, it provides a unique challenge to athletes.
7) Celtman Xtreme Ironman – 17th June. Founded in 2012 this race took inspiration from the famous Norseman Triathlon. Not for the faint heated this race will push you to your limit. Entries are limited and are based on a ballot system.
8) Huntly Standard Triathlon – 24th September. This race brings back memories to my youth and it was a race myself and Fraser did often growing up. There is also an option of a Novice & Sprint race in July.
9) Mid Argyll Triathlon – 24th September. A pool based Sprint race set in an idyllic part of the country. If you are looking for a laid back race then this is for you.
10) New Years Day Triathlon – 1st January. A classic Scottish race! You have to do this race at least once. Set around the famous Arthur’s seat it is a challenging race, along with whatever the weather decides to throw at you. Make sure you wear enough clothes for the bike. There is also a kids race so the whole family can take part.